Monday, November 10, 2008

Joe the plumber, meet Barack the president.


After spending so much time in classrooms last week, I've decided that when I grow up and have kids....and if I have two boys...then I want to name the first one Nathan, after my great grandfather, and the second one Parker...or Aidan. I'm not sure about girl names though...because frankly...I don't really like girl names. But I do like Madelyn and Connor. I can assure you however, that I will not name any of my children Mer Sadie, Jean, Cookie or Versacci. Oh, and I will never name my child George. I don't want his 5th grade class to always sing the George of the Jungle song when he is called on.
Something else I realized by visiting Roswell North, is that I want to persue sever disabilities special education, rather than just learning and behavioral disabilities. I like working with Autistic students especially. I'm excited for that, but also nervous. I want to be the absolutely best teacher I can be and I don't want to mess it up. Something else that is making me nervous, is that I keep hearing that special ed teachers usually burn out within 5 years. What if that happens to me? I will have gone through all of that school and trainging to end up doing something that includes so much paperwork that I end up hating the profession I used to be so passionate about. Gaahhh, anyways. Whatever happens, happens. And for now, I am excited about the direction I am heading in. I had an awesome time last weekend visiting App State. It was soo great to see all of my friends at App again. I've missed them all so much! I'm so glad we got to go to and App football game and Molly and Jessie's dance recital. And of course, I am very, very thankful to Trey and Jordan for coming with me, ya'll are amazing :)
Speaking of friends, I have the best in the world. I am so thankful for all of you in my life. I don't know what I would do without you. I hate leaving school now because I miss everyone so much and I'm afraid I'll miss so much. So, thanks guys. I love you all.
Last week Jordan and I took a hip-hop class together and I had soo much fun! t had been about a year and a half since I'd taken a hip-hop class and it was a much needed break from everyday life. I'm so excited to go back and take more classes! I'm also thinking about trying to find like an adult dance company or something. I really need dance in my life again, I miss it so much! Let me know if you hear of anything :)
Tuesday night might have been the proudest moment in my life. I can not believe that we, as a country, actually elected Barack Obama to be the next president of the United States. I witnessed this historic even twith some of my best friends and my parents. I love Obama and his family and I have so much respect for them. I know it will be a long time before he can accomplish much, but I am so excited! I really respect all of the people who voted for John McCain, but are now in support of Obama because he is the president-elect. We don't need more division in this country and I think ya'll are awesome for being so supportive. On the other hand, it really scares me what I've heard about white supremacists, etc. I do not want to live to see a president of the United States be assinated. I have the Obama family in my prayers and I hope to God they all stay safe. I am still in awe by the fact that I got to see the next president speak in person, the night before his election. I will always have that amazing memory. It was completely worth missing school for, even if I am still completely deprived of sleep and had the busiest week after. Obama is the most amazing speaker and I could have listened to him talk in the rain for hours. And we were sooo close! It's amazing how lucky we were.
I am soo excited to go back to hip-hop tomorrow and for the Twilight movie next week! Yay for friends and movies and books about vampire love stories! Anndd midnight showings! Woo!

3 comments:

Trey said...

Welll.

Sooo many things to be happy for right now.

I am so glad that you are once again happy.

You have no idea how it made me feel knowing you were somewhere where you were not letting all of your light shine.

A lot of people ask me, "How does Marissa like State"
.. And I just say, "She loves it" with a huge smile on my face.
Because that's all it takes.

You are finally in an environment where you can let your entire soul shine. And everyone needs some of that in their lives.

I'm happy to see you happy.
I just wanted to let you know that.

Unknown said...

This was great.
I have so much respect for what you want to do as your profession. Seriously, I don't know if I could.
And I'm sure that is was very awesome getting to hear Obama speak in person. He is a great speaker.. I remember the first time I heard him. It was the DNC in '04 and I remember being blown away by how articulate he was.. I knew he would be going somewhere.

Jordan said...

I just, love you.

That's all I think I need to say.


You know me :)